December 09, 2010

Atomic Ranch

Atomic Ranch is my favourite magazine, and I just got the most recent issue!  Since it is a quarterly magazine, I end up reading the entire thing just waiting for the next one to arrive.
 I am not a big reader of other decorating/design magazines.  Hus used to buy Dwell and a few others, but I find them somewhat pretentious.  What I love about Atomic Ranch is that the mid-century homes that are featured were usually just modest family homes at the time they were constructed.  I also love that they feature homes lovingly restored by real people.  Some have financial constraints and the homes are featured as works-in-progress; some are collectors and flea market rummagers whose tastes are mid-century, and some just want a family home with some style.  
I loved the above issue, since the family strove to keep the kitchen as original as possible, including the wall-oven.  They found this one online for $20; but with shipping it cost as much as a new stove.  I bet dollar-for-dollar this one will outlast anything they could have bought new!

2 comments:

The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

I drool over every issue of AR too! I even read the ads, and I'm a person who prides herself on how few ads I'm exposed to (largely by not watching TV). I dream someday our MCM retirement home will be featured in an article in this mag!

Protector of Vintage said...

Gosh, I didn't even know this magazine existed!! I need to try to find a copy. Happy Holidays!