November 28, 2010

Xmas Xcitement

Today was first Advent, as my mom reminded me on the phone today.  I had the day totally free (for a change) and was feeling into doing something crafty; which is rare for me.  Advent is something that we always celebrated at home, but only now do I realize we did it in a totally secular way - as a countdown to Christmas.  

I collected some greenery while walking this afternoon, and used what I had at home to construct a festive candle holder.  I finally found a use for this plate I made a few years ago that came out of the kiln with a big crack in it!
Some fir and mistletoe, a half-used pure beeswax candle, and a bag of thrifted craft supplies, and voila!
 I think it is pretty good for 20 minutes work.  You can also see the glued-together East German windmill that I thrifted in the summer.  Unfortunately, I had to blow out the candles right after taking the picture because the propellers were starting to burn!  Nothing really worked in communist countries, after all!

I particularly like this little deer amongst the fir...
And for the 'kaffe zeit', I couldn't find any lebkuchen in the grocery stores, so we had slices of Stollen, Merci chocolates and Chai tea.  

Okay, I realize the Chai didn't really go with the rest of the German theme, but it did have a gingerbread-like taste.

PS. Welcome to new followers - Protector of Vintage, Susie QT, angiescott and maryperk!  

4 comments:

acorn hollow said...

Your new followers are adding up!
Happy advent we celebrated in church but since I have not been to chuch in a while I forgot also.
love your decorations.
cathy

Carpe Diem said...

I love the little cup and saucer/plate. I saw one somewhere and thought it was so cute. I should have a bought it, now I'll probably never find one again.

Happy Advent! We did invite Mom and Dad over for coffee but they had other plans. Next Sunday they will come and Dad made me an Adventkranz.

Carpe Diem said...

I couldn't find an Pfeffernuesse or Lebkuchen either. We had Stolle and Scottish Shortbread.

Reduce, Reuse and Rummage said...

I have a set of four that middle sister and I bought when we all still lived in our hometown. I don't have much cause to use them, but it is fun to drink out of such dainty cups! Although the pattern looks oddly similar to marijuana leaves!